Saturday, April 30, 2011

If God Were a Color

My great grandma G.G. passed when I was 26 and she was 96, I am so blessed I had to chance to really grow up with her and know her because in many ways she was the one person who truly understood me, my best friend. She taught me how to pray and love God and know Him personally and she always talked about the sparrows and God's love for us in light of how He cares about the sparrows, (hence my sparrow tat, not for captn' jack like you thought...). She also instilled in me that if everyone wears red, you wear blue. That simple statement left such a huge impact on me as a kid. It was a revolutionary idea. Go against the flow, be your own person, own who you are and let no one tell you different. I'm not sure if she knows the impact it had on me, good or bad haha!

I was a strange kid, in a good way, I think... I was very shy until I started acting, in theatre that is, not just acting out. But, when asked about something I always had an opinion. I was not afraid to stand up to bullies or to my teachers if asked to read what I considered and inappropriate book. I never backed down when asked to speak less about God in my reports and never stopped our prayer circle before a performance when told it did not include everyone, even though I invited everyone. I never dated because I did not see the value in dating someone I would not marry, why waste our time? Man! How did I survive high school haha! When God is in the marrow of your bones it becomes necessity to live it out no matter what age you are. Granted, I was and am by no means perfect and I think... I have grown to show the grace I have been given. I guess thats why when the random lady in Walmart told me I should 10 or 15 pounds it did not shake me. Of course I do! Who doesn't!? lol But I know who I am and maybe it's just another shade of blue for me? Another way to rebel against what everyone thinks I should be... I will never be a size 2 nor do I want to be so blue it is! :)

Every once in a while G.G and I would talk about stuff going on in my life and if felt like she was not understanding where I coming from, I would say "G.G., if everyone wears red, I wear blue." And she would smile and squeeze my hand and say, "that's right, you do!". Lord, I miss that hand!

That was God to me as a kid and now, He was always the blue I chose to wear and still choose.

What color is He to you?

2 comments:

  1. My hand is here for you to grab when you need! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know, i know there are many hands... she just had ridiculously soft hands! haha

    ReplyDelete